Thursday, June 17, 2010

1st Birthday Cake

This is a cake I made today for my neice Ava who is turning 1 this weekend.

Because this is a family obsessed with Disney, and because Ava's grandmother (and blog follower) Heather asked me to do a Disney cake, I chose to do a baby pink Minnie Mouse cake.
Originally I wanted to put little Minnie Mouse shaped heads on the sides where the polka dots are, but luckily Ava's grandmother said it would look too busy with the addition. We will be writing a "Happy Birthday" note on the cake later, but in all honesty, I really like the simplicity of the cake. Less is more... even for children's bithday cakes.

Things I learned while baking this cake:
It is really hot outside! Now I understand the phrase, "If you don't like the heat, then get out of the kitchen." Also, because it was so hot today (a mere 97 Degrees), Cream Cheese icing was not a good idea. Yes it tastes great, and yes there is a nice contrast with the chocoate incing on top, but it does not hold its shape well in high temperatures. If you'll notice, even after two layers of the icing, the icing seems to be slowing melting off.

Oh well, Bake, Mistake, and Learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment