Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wood Grained Carrot Cake for Billy


Okay so good news is this:

MY FIRST COMMISSIONED CAKE!!!

Carrot Cake with raisins and walnuts and cream cheese icing. The cake and icing are PHENOMENAL!

Bad news is this:

It is nowhere near as perfect as I wanted it to be.

I have only worked with fondant one other time and this was not a good experience. As you can see, I mixed several different colors of fondant in what is called a "marble" color to give it a wood-grained look. Then, I used a wood-like fondant press to give it the look of boards of wood. I like the way it looks, but after I put the fondant on, it cracked. There are a few small cracks and this big one in the back:


I feel so horrible about this. I spent a lot of time on this cake and now I don't even want to charge the lady for anything but the ingredients. This stinks Dollies! There is just no way around that.

No comments:

Post a Comment